Home » 140.6 Journey » Balancing life can be hard

Balancing life can be hard

Apr 1: Day 48

Planned Workouts:

Today: Bike, 10 minutes Z1, 10 minutes Z2, 4 x (6 minutes Z3/3 minutes Z1) 44 minutes Z2, 5 minutes Z1

Weight: 173

Today was one of those days that was hard to balance life and training.  Actually all days are like that, it’s just that there are different degrees.  Today is Open House at K-State, and my older son will be a student next year.  He wanted to go check out the Computer Science display and the nuclear reactor, along with some other stuff.  The wife was working a booth until 10:15 and we were to go after.  This meant I needed to get my workout done, dinner started and Scully out and exercised in time to go with.


I got up before 7 and made some spaghetti sauce for the family, but it took a little longer than I planned.  I was rushing to get some breakfast for myself, get dressed for my ride, and get out the door for a walk with Scully.  I finally got her out about 8:05, and didn’t actually get on the bike until 8:30am.  With an hour and 45 minute ride, I had exactly no time to spare.

So of course, I had issues which caused delays.  PowerTap is exchanging my PS1 pedals, so I am for now on my old pedals that have different cleats.  It took me about 10 minutes to realize I had installed the cleats at a slightly wrong angle, and it was causing discomfort.  I spent 5 minutes trying to cope, and then just gave up, jumped off, and adjusted the cleats.  This lost at least 5 minutes.

Then Scully started barking her head off for no particular reason.  This is unusual for her, so I got off the bike again and tried to figure out what was going on.  I found nothing, never did.  But I lost a little more time looking around the house for whatever she was agitated by.

So by the time I got off the bike, people were back and ready to go.  I cleaned myself up and we got to do everything, but MAN were my legs tired.  We spent 2 and one half hours walking around and my son had a great time.  It was worth it, but by the time we got home I was mentally and physically exhausted.  It can be a real logistical nightmare to get workouts in shoehorned in between all the other responsibilities of life.

And it’s only going to get worse as the workouts get longer.

Meanwhile, when I got home my bar tape had arrived in the mail, so instead of putting that off I went ahead and installed it.  I was too tired to take a video, but I did take some before, during and after pictures.

I really like the red, because it pops off the bike and makes it stand out more.  It’s also a really thick, grippy tape that will be easier to ride with for a lot of miles.  It was actually really easy.  A lot of bike stuff is, once you figure it out.  YouTube can help with that, and did in this case.

Now I am going to rest for an hour before I get the noodles on.  I hope.  Let’s see if someone can find something else I need to do in the next 60 minutes lol.

Have a great Saturday folks.  Cheers!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s