Home » 140.6 Journey » The heat is on!

The heat is on!

June 9, Day 117

Weekend Workouts:

  • 89 min bike, 5 minutes Z1, 15 minutes Z2, 8 x (1 minute Z5 uphill or simulated/2 minutes Z1), 45 minutes Z2, 5 minutes Z1
  • 80 min run, 5 minutes in Z1, 70 minutes Z2, 5 minutes Z1
  • 1850y swim, 250 yd Z1, 400 yd Z3, 120″ rest, 200 yd Z3, 120″ rest, 1000 yd Z1


On to month #2 of the full plan!  I know the distance is going to start ramping up steadily, so I will hold off on declaring too much victory yet, but so far everything has been really solid.  I’m exactly where I think I should be, which probably indicates I don’t understand where I should be more than anything, but you take what you can get.

Friday’s swim, once again, was great.  I’m pushing through the 1000y with no rest just fine, even after 2 hard sets.  This is good because quite frankly it’s my plan to swim Z1 the whole race.  I cannot waste any energy in the water.  Too much other stuff to do.

Saturday it got hot.  Weather was headed to 90 degrees with high humidity.  I went out and got my bike done quickly so as to avoid the worst of it, but still faced 15-20 mph winds most of the bike.  That bike was again hill repeats, but for a full minute and then 2 minutes rest.  I’ve got plenty of power in the legs so far and the hill repeats were no problem.  The problem came at the end of the ride, when I was coming down the home stretch of the final loop.  Suddenly the wind got really, really bad and my allergies started getting the best of me.  They’d been uncomfortable but contained basically the whole ride to that point, but at that point my nose began running freely and my eyes were watering to the point I had to actually close one while riding.  I’m so sweaty at that point I can’t really even wipe them, so it was pretty miserable that last 10 minutes.


Remember to put tissues in your race bag for the race: got it.

Sunday’s run I actually remembered to take fluids and a salt tablet with me.  I was going to run later in the morning, but at 5:30AM it was already hot and going to get hotter.  I decided to just get up and get it done.  Everything went pretty smooth, except one of my bottles fell  out of my nutrition belt almost immediately and I didn’t notice it was gone until later.  Happily, it was there on the sidewalk near my house still when I got back so I didn’t lose it.

On the way out I saw this thing that looked like a cat on the trail.  Come closer, and it’s an opossum–apparently a really fat one—dead center on the trail.  Get closer still, and I realize there’s probably 6-8 babies staring at me from momma’s back.  She is dead center of the trail and not moving.  It was a little unnerving, because I didn’t have room on the trail to give her more than a couple feet as I went by, but she didn’t do anything but watch.


Pretty close to what I saw–cute!

Damned cute in retrospect, but I was almost sure I was gonna get bit.

But I didn’t!  And that’s a good thing.  Rabies not what I want to deal with right now.  Not when everything is going fairly smoothly.  Hope you all had a great, productive weekend and are beating the heat.  Cheers!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s